By: Gift Tantenda Tarupiwa
As I continue to expose the hidden treasures about the breadth of mind, i will use the biblical verses below to bring unto light how a person’s level of understanding is affected by their mind’s breadth.
Text: 2Kings 6:8-14 ESV
8. Once when the king of Syria was warring against Israel, he took counsel with his servants, saying, “At such and such a place shall be my camp.”
9. But the man of God sent word to the king of Israel, “Beware that you do not pass this place, for the Syrians are going down there.”
10. And the king of Israel sent to the place about which the man of God told him. Thus he used to warn him, so that he saved himself there more than once or twice.
11. And the mind of the king of Syria was greatly troubled because of this thing, and he called his servants and said to them, “Will you not show me who of us is for the king of Israel?”
12. And one of his servants said, “None, my lord, O king; but Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the words that you speak in your bedroom.”
13. And he said, “Go and see where he is, that I may send and seize him.” It was told him, “Behold, he is in Dothan.”
14. So he sent there horses and chariots and a great army, and they came by night and surrounded the city.
In order to quickly lay bare my point, I will briefly paraphrase the story highlighted by the scriptures.
Here we have a story about a certain Syrian king who on many occasions plotted an ambush against the king of Israel and never succeeded due to the prophet by the name Elisha’s cautionary advice to the Israelite king prior to this assassination attempt.
After realising how he wasn’t achieving his goal, he began assuming that one of his inner circle members was in a way betraying him and when he had gathered and interrogated them, he finally discovered that it was prophet Elisha who was responsible for this setback and sent an army to go and arrest him.
However this was an act of ultimate foolishness in the sense that if Elisha was able to forewarn the Israelite king about the ambush plots against him, how much more could he also foreknow of the king of Syria’s plans to send men to seize him.
What then was the significance of him sending troops to arrest Elisha, when he was aware of his prophetic gifting that enabled him to access other people’s confidential information???
Now foolishness is always a product of the absence of understanding, which is also a result of a limited breadth of one’s mind.
Have you ever been caught up in a situation whereby you realise how much foolish you would have acted and all of a sudden begin to consider how best you could’ve simply done it???
Well this doesn’t always happen as a result of not having knowledge but rather the failure to apply it.
The accumulation of knowledge only become profitably relevant at the point of the application of the same.
Everyone else may merely acquire knowledge but it takes a very few individuals with a greater breadth of mind to practically apply what they know during their involvement in given circumstantial instances.
Well am quite sure that in this second episode i have stressed out the necessity of a greater breadth of mind in one’s quest for reaching the climax of considerable understanding, which is of a great essentiality in this life.
Hope somebody has been blessed!